Guys, I’m so excited about this week’s batch breakfast recipe: Elvis Oatmeal! This batch breakfast oatmeal recipe is truly the “king” of oatmeal preparations. If you hadn’t guessed from the title, it’s a delicious and mostly nutritious blend of oatmeal, bananas, bacon, and peanut butter (with a little brown sugar and salt to balance things out.)
Batch cooking is the only way I make sure I’m well fed during the workweek. Sunday I make something substantial, and Monday through Friday I work my way through it. I’ve been doing this for years, but for a while I didn’t have much variety. I’d eat oatmeal in the winter and yogurt in the summer.
But over the last year of so I’ve really gotten creative, often making something brand new each week. So I’m going to start blogging about it to share the ideas. Check back each week to see the latest recipe for making a batch breakfast. Keep reading to see how to make your batch breakfast of Elvis Oatmeal!
Batch Breakfast: Elvis Oatmeal
(makes 5-6 servings)
- 4 cups milk (or water, although milk adds more protein)
- 2 cups quick cook oatmeal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunch–your choice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 bananas (I buy ones at varying degrees of ripeness so they taste good all week!)
- Bring milk (or water) to a boil.
- Add oatmeal. Stir occasionally until oatmeal is almost set–about 3 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter, brown sugar, and salt. Adjust amounts as needed.
- Pour into a glass container. (I swear by this Pyrex set!) When oatmeal is cool, place in fridge.
When it’s time to eat:
Scoop a serving size out of the container. Add water or milk until it’s the consistency you want. Reheat it, then, before serving, top with half a banana and 1/5 of the bacon. (On Friday you get to eat the whole banana 🙂 I also like to add other nutritional extras–in this case cinnamon and peanuts.